China I - Expectations & Flight・中国一 。期待と飛行

With a grand total of 0 hours sleep (guess who hadn't finished packing) I've dragged my sorry body and luggage to Heathrow Airport. Waiting for my delayed plane by playing with Mao's face whilst wondering if I'm insulting China by doing so.


***
Even though I absolutely hate flying, I made it to the other side of the world in one piece and my luggage made it too! hurray! 

Breakfast-06.04.14
*
It was my first solo long haul flight and I was a bit awkward in Frankfurt when I had to take my connecting flight. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to pick my luggage up somewhere so I paced up and down the airport trying to subtly suss out what other people were doing. I could of just asked *but pride*. I finally figured out that I should just trust the airline and airport staff to handle my luggage for me..

Aerial China I
*

On the way to Beijing I made friends with the man next to me called Leo. He gave me advice on China and his business card which was a first for me. What do I do with someone's business card? Could I really just call up one day saying: "hey we met on a plane once and spoke about food for a few hours, remember me?" Is this a done thing? Do I need my own business cards? Or is it something a bit old-fashioned now that most people have smart phones? There's something nice about exchanging business card though, compared to : "hey just add me on LinkedIn init."

Aerial China II
*
When we were descending towards Beijing Airport, I was struck by how brown everything looked. The mountains were brown, the plains were brown, the rivers were brown. It was all very desolate and beautiful at the same time. I'm so used to flying over the UK and France with their green and yellow fields that I'd never seen anything like this before. As the vast brown landscape slowly turned into a sea of uniform tower blocks, the blue of the sky became a hazy shade of grey. I found it all a bit bleak if I'm completely honest..

Aerial China III
***

Expectations:

I really don't have any clear idea about what to expect in China.
The media can be quite negative about it, some friends have told me they love the country, others have told me they hate it.. It's hard to form an opinion without even going.
I expect it'll be warmer than the UK, I'll probably feel confused at some point and I am most definitely going to have a dilemma coming back. Let's just say my packing was a bit tight so if I want to bring back any souvenirs, shit is going to have to gooo.


I'm excited for the next three weeks.. I have a feeling that I'll come back a little bit different 
x
x
x

No comments:

Post a Comment