China V - Pollution & Swords - 汚染と刀


After a long long day of classes, I escaped Shandong University’s campus and took a bus to the city centre. Jinan has a modern feel in the centre around Quancheng square, with a fancy mall full of western chains and brands, all shiny marble, glass and steel.
Whilst the square itself has some greenery, fountains and is flanked by canals, the pollution in Jinan makes it seem as if everything is covered by a grey film.. (Jinan, in the top 10 for most polluted cities in China yay!)


Also note the phallic high rise.

Shopping was my aim, but not here. Instead, I walked across the square, survived crossing the road and arrived at an old gate sandwiched between two average looking concrete buildings. Furong Street. Also known as food street. My kind of place.  
The street is lined with food stalls and restaurants and for someone like me, completely ignorant of the richness and abundance of Chinese cuisine but desperate to learn (taste) more, it was heaven. Fried spicy tofu, noodle soup from Heilongjiang province, octopus dumplings, pig knuckle soup…

Furong Street, Jinan

Furong Street, Jinan


Furong Street, Jinan

With my stomach feeling a bit stretched and the sun setting I decided to head home.

Waddling through Quancheng Square however, I experienced another aspect of China that will probably stay with me.  Tai chi, square dancing, kite flying, kung fu, Chinese badminton, ribbon dancing… There was a huge amount of people just being.. active. The atmosphere was so lively and energetic it made me wonder what I used my evenings for back home… Mindlessly scrolling down Facebook and Tumblr? I wasn’t sure what I spent my time on when I wasn’t studying or working and that thought scared me a little. Was I wasting the free time I did have on things that left no impression on me? Maybe it isn't that I have no interests but rather that I don’t make the time to pursue them..
I was also left with the feeling that there was a stronger sense of community here that I had personally experienced in England..
But rather than being due to cultural differences I started to realise that it might be due to my own lack of involvement instead..

Quancheng Square, Jinan

As I left the square mulling over the use of my time so far in Life, I saw a group of grannies practicing sword dancing. 
I mentioned this to my Chinese friend Lydia, noting how I didn’t think it is even legal to carry a blade longer than a certain length in England.

“Really? I have a knife! Well three in total but I only carry one with me. The others are underneath my pillow and mattress. Just in case.”

She showed me her knives. They are not small. I’m not sure I would even call them knives.

“Just in case.”


X
x
x

No comments:

Post a Comment